BUILDING WILL BE CLOSED DUE TO CONSTRUCTION RENOVATION WORK. CLOSED UNTIL JULY 1
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church | Built in 1861
ST. Matthew's Episcopal Church has been registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark pursuant to the authority vested in the Virginia Board of Historic of Resources.
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of The Interior.
The Old Church Store is historically known as St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church. It is located in the hamlet of Champlain in Essex County, Virginia in what was once St. Anne's Parish. St. Matthew’s sits at the intersection of Routes 17 and 631 to 724. Construction on St. Matthew’s began in 1861; however the Civil War halted work on the building until 1865. St. Matthew's was consecrated in 1870 and served the residents for 100 years until its conversion to a general store in 1970. In 2003 the church was registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark by the Virginia Board of Historic Resources and in the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.